Geelong and Surfcoast Doula Services provide certified and registered Doulas to deliver quality support to Geelong women throughout Pregnancy, Birth and beyond.
All Geelong and Surfcoast Doula Services doulas operate under a code of practice and are experienced birth professionals.
Geelong and Surfcoast Doula Services was established in January 2010 and has been supporting women in Public Hospitals, Private Hospitals, Homes and Birth Centres in Geelong and surrounding areas.
So what is a Birth Doula ?
Essentially, your Obstetrician or Midwife can answer all the questions you have about your birth. Your Doula helps you work out the questions you need answered.
A birth Doula supports your choices in childbirth and assists you and your partner physically and emotionally throughout pregnancy, labour and the early post partum period. From the moment you meet with your chosen Doula you will feel supported 24/7 whenever you need her.
Geelong and Surfcoast Doula Services offer Doulas with the highest standards of training and professionalism so you can be confident in your choice of support person.
Geelong and Surfcoast Doula Services is underpinned by a strict Code of Ethics and Practice
Our code determines that a doula must first understand their role is non - medical and defined as emotional, physical and informational support to birthing and post natal women and their partners.
The Doula's role is to support the choices made by their client without prejudice and without contradicting the clients chosen medical providers.
Doulas must not impose their own personal beliefs onto a client but support education by providing unbiased evidence based research to assist parents to make their own choices for their birth.
Our Doulas must always be professional and respectful in their attitudes to clients, medical providers and employees of hospitals and birth centres and independent midwifery practices.
A Doula must always outline her limitations of service in writing to her client before contracting her services.
Our Doulas are required to:
· Respect the clients individuality and beliefs
· Treat every client with care and consideration
· Respect confidential information
· Ensure the doula's own beliefs do not prejudice the needs of the client
· Recognise the limitations and boundaries of our professional competence and refer when appropriate
· Work with colleagues in ways that best serve the clients interests
· Avoid any act or situation that could compromise the dignity or privacy of the client
· Be trustworthy in contacts with other health professionals
· Strive to represent the profession with honesty and integrity
· Be aware of new developments and skills
· Work within the ethical criteria and ethos of the profession
If a client or medical professional feels a Doula has breached this code in any way we invite you to contact us and we will assist you to submit your complaint following our complaints procedure.